Here are a few things to review before filling a nectar feeder:
- Check to make sure the base compartments are securely tightened.
- Push container into base to close ports to prevent leakage.
- Unscrew cap to fill with nectar.
- Screw cap back on securely to form an airtight seal.
- We recommend keeping the feeder in the closed position until you get to the spot where you want to hang it.
- For Top Fill Feeders - Open nectar reservoir by holding base with one hand and pulling up on the container with the other to open ports for feeding.
- Your feeder is now ready.
Hanging Your Bird Feeder
A sheltered southeastern exposure is best for hanging a bird feeder since birds like to feed in the sun and out of the wind. Birds also prefer to have a clear view over their feeding area so they can see any predators.
If this is the first bird feeder in your yard, you may have to wait several weeks for birds to discover it. To help them find the feeder faster, put a shiny pie pan with some seed in it underneath the feeder to attract birds in flight. Black oil sunflower seeds are a favorite among most birds. Water is also a natural attractant.
Hang your bird feeder away from trees, bushes, fences or buildings. Squirrels and other predators may use these to climb or jump onto the bird feeder. If you must hang the bird feeder on a tree, keep it at least six feet from the trunk or the tree limbs.
Add a squirrel baffle over the bird feeder to prevent squirrels from climbing down the wire used to hang the bird feeder. If you decide to use a free standing pole, it should be 5' high and 10' from the nearest tree.
Hummingbird feeders should be hung out of direct sunlight, since the sun can spoil the nectar. They should also be hung away from windy areas and out of reach of cats. If possible, place the hummingbird feeder in and around trumpeting flowers. This will help attract more birds to your hummingbird feeder.
Birdfeeders.com is your leading online source for wild bird feeders, feeder accessories, and bird baths. We offer the broadest and deepest set of quality bird feeders to make your wild bird watching experience even more enjoyable!